Home About Me My Classroom Freebies TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest Facebook BlogLovin Email Image Map

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Flashlight Friday

I love finding new ways to get my kiddos reading. On one of my recent visits to Pinterest I found an anchor chart listing the rules and procedures for "Flashlight Friday" and I knew I had to try it with my students. I was super excited to add this new reading activity into our daily reading block.

The activity was really easy to do and required very little preparation. I sent home a note on Thursday asking parents to send a flashlight to school with their kiddo on Friday. During our reading block, I lead my group of giggling third graders to a dark and spooky storage closet, turned off the lights, and instructed them to turn on their lights and read. They each came to the closet with their personal carpet square and either a chapter book or several picture books so they wouldn't run out of reading materials. As you can guess they really enjoyed this activity! Even one of my most reluctant readers participated and said he loved reading this way.

The activity is super simple and you can adjust it to suit your own unique students. Just supply each of your kiddos with a flashlight, or have them bring their own from home like I did, take them to a dark spot, preferably one they haven't been to before, and let the fun begin. During our reading adventure I had the expectation that my kiddos would stay on their rug square and read quietly and they didn't disappoint me. If you passed the closet you wouldn't have known that it contained 15 eager readers!

They can't wait to do this fun, highly engaging activity again next Friday. I plan on putting it into our reading block rotation at least every other week. I also plan to have a special creepy holiday edition of "Flashlight Friday" where I will read stories out of the book, "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" to my kiddos. Don't tell them but I have a few scary and fun surprises in store for them that day! Bwahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment